Thursday, July 20, 2006
Home Decor Pillows Shoddily Completed
I bought this book called Holiday Knits and realized it was a terrible book. I have knitting pamphlets from my local dime store better than this rip off. (Yes, I'm old enough to have had a local dime store before they all went CVS.) Anyway, it inspired me to make a pillow and help my empty living unit look more Crate and Barrel.
I went to a local yarn store and picked up two lovely balls of yarn. The staff was very helpful to join me in my quest. I decided to cast on 72 stitches for an 18 inch by 18 inch pillow. I made a four inch border in brown and used the blue for a square in the middle. Knitting the front of the pillow was a great time. Knitting the back of the pillow, for which I chose stockinet, was as fun as an I-90/94 traffic jam. I experienced an hour to 1/2 inch of movement ratio. I think I finally finished this bad boy on a trip to Grandma's. Knitting the pillow back was as much fun as talking about "How's school?" with Grandma. (I graduated from post-sec almost 10 years ago.)
Sewing the pillow together on the other hand was not fun. So I sat back and explained that I worked now. Thank goodness for the SNB craze. It's the only way seaming is tolerable. You have to take easy knitting along anyway since you'll be distracted by flying mayonnaise and subsequent pregnancies. I got 3 sides done and the final seam waits. A local knitting guru suggested that maybe I wanted to leave a side open with buttons so that I could wash the cover. Groovy, but it involved knitting pyrotechnics that I don't have.
I decided my pillow was ready to sit in the living room anyway. There it is ready for closure. Pun intended. One day I will try to close this pillow using stick-on Velcro. Or I'll just seam up the whole thing. I can make another one. Looking at the incomplete seam makes me weary and the pillow is perfectly functional as it is.
After repeated houseguests batted the unfinished pillow around, I decided that it was time to complete the final seam. I spent hours trying to figure out how to crochet the pillow shut from the right side. The result is an awful mess and I publicly threaten to reseam this pillow again.